8/11/2010

Sweet Pepper Salsa

Recipe from Aunt Sharon (I believe she got this from her Ball Canning Cookbook)


This was another great way to use up some peppers!  This recipe uses 3 cups of peppers.  Again, I kind of mixed it up a little bit.  The recipe calls for 1 cup each of red, green and yellow bell peppers. I used bell peppers (green and yellow), sweet banana peppers, sweet yellow peppers, jalapenos and red chili peppers. 

The salsa is delicious!  It has just a little bit of spice, but it's not overpowering.  I think I only used about 3-4 jalapenos and 3 red chilies.  I wanted to keep this at about a medium temp, as I knew the Tomatillo Salsa would be pretty spicy.

Ingredients:
7 c peeled, cored, chopped and seeded tomatoes
3 c peppers (see above what I used)
1/2 c chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T minced cilantro
1 t salt
1/2 c vinegar
2 drops hot pepper sauce

*This recipe makes about 7 half pints

Directions:
Sterilize jars and lids and prepare boiling water bath canner.

Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.  Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.  Remove air bubbles and wipe rim clean.  Center hot lid on jar and screw band on to fingertip tight.

Process for 15 minutes in the boiling water bath canner. Remove jars from water and check seal after 24 hours.  Store in a cool, dry place.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667