9/16/2010

Crockpot Indian Chicken Curry

Recipe from A Year of Slow Cooking


It's been quite a while since I've used my slow cooker.  I guess I kind of see it as more of a winter cooking method.  I don't know why, as it's not like it heats the house.  Maybe, in my head, I feel like many slow cooker dishes are a bit heavier - too much for hot summer days.

But this dish was not heavy at all.  It was really delicious!  It had great curry flavor, and I loved the addition of the sweetness of the sweet potatoes and coconut milk.

Indian dishes are definitely climbing their way into my faves.  Just a year or two ago, I'm not even sure if I'd ever even eaten Indian food.  But I am really loving the flavors!  I'll have to start checking out Aarti Paarti on the Food Network for some more recipes. :)

Ingredients:
13.5 ou can coconut milk (do not use light)
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
4-6 frozen, skinless chicken thighs
1 T tomato paste
2 T curry powder
1 t ground coriander
1 t ground cumin
1 t ground ginger
Few dashes Tabasco sauce
1 yellow onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 eggplant, chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped

Directions:
Mix together all of your spices, coconut milk, tomato paste and Tabasco sauce in the slow cooker.  Add the chicken, flipping a few times to coat, then the garbanzo beans.

Place all of the veggies on top.  Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours, or high for 4-6 hours.  Stir carefully to mix and serve over brown rice. I also served with garlic naan.  Unfortunately I didn't have time to make it, so it was store-bought, but still good!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667