10/14/2010

Rosemary Garlic Bread

Recipe from barefoot kitchen witch


One of my favorite smells is fresh baked bread.  Add in rosemary and garlic, and it's just about heaven! :) 

I've had issues with yeast in the past.  Often my breads don't rise correctly and I'm stuck with this dense, heavy lump.  Blah...  I'm not going to claim that this one came out perfectly, because it wasn't quite there yet.  The bread was still just slightly dense.  I'm not sure why.. I'm following the directions, and it looks like it has risen as much as it should.  I actually have no problem when a recipe calls for only one rise.  But most bread recipes like this call for a second one, and that's when the problems come in.  But I plan to keep trying!  I'm going to master it some day. :)

Anyway, like I said - it wasn't perfect, but it was close!  Slightly dense, but still totally edible, and the flavors was delicious!

Oh - this recipe does make enough for two loaves.  I just made one big ball and cooked it on my pizza stone.

Ingredients:
3 c whole wheat flour
2 1/2 c bread flour
2 packages yeast
2 1/2 t salt
2 t pepper
2 c hot water (120 - 130 degrees)
1/4 c olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 T fresh minced rosemary

Directions:
In the bowl of your stand mixer using the paddle attachment, combine 1 cup of the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the bread flour, then add the remaining dry ingredients (salt, pepper, yeast).  Pour in the hot water and mix for about a minute, then add the olive oil and mix in, until smooth.

Next mix in the rosemary and garlic.  Try to mince the rosemary as fine as you can.

Now you want to add the remaining flour.  First mix in the 2 cups whole wheat flour, then switch to the dough hook.  Slowly knead in the remaining bread flour until dough pulls away from sides of the bowl and is no longer sticky.

Shape the dough into a ball, and place it into a lightly greased bowl.  Cover and let it rise for about one hour, until doubled in size.  Gently pour from bowl and shape into a bowl.  Let it rest for 5-10 minutes.

Shape dough as you wish to bake it, or put it into 2 loaf pans.  Allow loaf to rise, under a clean, lint-free towel, for 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for 45 minutes, rotating pan once about halfway through cooking.

1 comments:

Mary Bergfeld

Erica, this looks and sounds delicious. I love the food and recipes you feature here. I really enjoy my visiting. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667