10/30/2008

Chicken Chow Mein

My husband loves chinese food, so I decided to try my hand at some Chicken Chow Mein last night. It is a bit of a process - it only took about a half hour or so, but there really is no wait time. You're pretty much constantly doing something. I wanted to take more pictures, but I just didn't have a chance.

We both thought it turned out really well. I think I overdid the noodles - I didn't really measure although I knew I should have. I'm horrible with noodles, I always end up with too much.

I also switched a few things up in the recipe that I am not a big fan of, I skipped the snow peas and ham, and used a mix of mushrooms (shitaake, oyster and one other) and leek.

The recipe also called for Light soy sauce and Dark soy sauce. I couldn't find any Light soy sauce, so I used all dark.

Ingredients:3 1/4 c egg noodles
5 t sesame oil
4 t light soy sauce
2 T Chinese rice wine or dry sherry (I used sherry)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 lb chicken breasts cut into strips (I used 2 breasts)
3 T peanut oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 c snow peas, finely sliced (I substituted mushrooms - about 3/4 c)
1/2 c cooked ham, cut into fine strips (I did 1/2 c leek)
2 t dark soy sauce
pinch of sugar

Garnish:
(I didn't do this)
shredded scallions
toasted sesame seeds

Directions:
Place 2 t of light soy sauce, 1 T rice wine or sherry, 1 t sesame oil and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Add the chicken and stir well. Cover lightly and place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and add noodles. Cook according to package instructions, drain, and plunge into cold water. Drain again and add 1 T sesame oil, stir lightly. (I just realized I forgot the sesame oil step.... oops!)

Heat a wok over high heat, add 1 T peanut oil and, when very hot, add the chicken and its marinade. Stir-fry for 2 minutes, remove chicken and juices to a bowl and set to the side.

Wipe the wok clean with absorbent paper towels.

Reheat the wok and add 2 T peanut oil. Add the garlic and toss in oil for about 20 seconds.

Add the snow peas and ham (or mushrooms and leek in my case), and stir-fry for 1 minute.

Add the noodles, 2 t light soy sauce, 1 T rice wine or sherry, 2 t dark soy sauce and sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir-fry about 2 minutes.

Add the chicken and juices to the wok and stir-fry for 4 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Drizzle with remaining sesame oil (oops... forgot this too).Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds, and serve.

Well... in spite of forgetting the sesame oil twice, it still turned out pretty good.

I served this with egg drop soup. Yes I cheated and used a package where I just add water and an egg. But... I went ahead and added the remaining mushrooms. Sometimes I amaze myself with my creativity. :)

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667