10/29/2008

Tuscan Ravioli Stew

I found this recipe in our Italian cookbook, and I'll be honest, as I was making this I was, in the back of my mind, thinking of what we had in our fridge that I could throw together if this tasted awful.

However, we didn't need it. It was actually really good. My husband loved it. And, bonus, it was incredibly easy!!

This recipe calls for either broccoli rabe or Swiss chard (it recommends the broccoli rabe). I had never heard of either, and actually had to go to 3 stores before I could find the Swiss chard. I never did find the broccoli rabe.

I had no clue how to actually use it. But I decided to just use the leafy part and toss the stems. It turned out well.

I also used the cheese-filled ravioli. I've never actually seen chicken-filled.

And I used Parmesan cheese instead of Asiago cause it's what I had at home.

Ingredients:
1 T olive oil
1 large leek, thinly sliced (about 1/2 c)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 14 1/2 ou. can stewed tomatos, undrained
1 14-ou. can beef broth
3/4 c water
1/4 t crushed red pepper (optional, but I recommend it)
5 c coarsely chopped broccoli rabe or Swiss chard (about 6 ou.)
1 9-ou. package chicken or cheese-filled ravioli
1 T fresh or 1 t dried rosemary
1/4 c shredded Asiago cheese

Directions:
In a large saucepan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add leek and garlic and cook until tender, about 3 minutes - stirring occasionally.Stir in undrained tomatos, beef broth, water and crushed red pepper (if desired) and bring to a boil.

Add in the rabe or chard, ravioli and rosemary. Return to boiling and then reduce heat. Cover and simmer 7-8 minutes or until rabe or chard and ravioli are tender.Ladle into a shallow bowl and top servings with Asiage cheese.

I served this with the leftover Italian Herb Bread.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667