11/03/2008

Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy

I had a lot of buttermilk left over from the Italian Herb bread that I made at the beginning of the week, so I found this recipe for Buttermilk Biscuits and decided to try my hand at biscuits and gravy.

I've never made either of these before, but it was actually quite easy and it turned out really well. The only critique from my husband was that he likes the gravy to be a bit thicker.

I started with the biscuits.

Ingredients:
4 c self-rising flour
1 t white sugar
1 t baking powder
2/3 c shortening
2 c buttermilk
2 T buttermilk, for brushing

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 and lightly grease a baking sheet. (I just threw some parchment paper on a baking sheet.)

In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar and baking powder, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, then stir in 2 c buttermilk, mixing just enough for mixture to come together.

Roll out dough until about 1 inch thick, cut into rounds with a biscuit cutter (or, if you're like me and don't have one, use a plastic cup - makes perfectly round biscuits :).
Place biscuits on baking sheet and brush with buttermilk.
Bake for about 15 minutes, until golden. (I actually left them in closer to 20 minutes to get them golden brown.)

The recipe claims it makes 8 servings - I got to 12 and probably could've gotten another 4-5 out of it. But I filled up my sheet and was too lazy to get another out.

Sausage Gravy Ingredients:
1 lb ground pork sausage (we picked up some (non-frozen) Italian sausage patties and used those)
2 T margarine
1/4 c flour (I ended up using more)
4 c milk
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In a large skillet cook sausage over medium high heat, breaking it up as it cooks, until browned (about 10 minutes).

Stir in the margarine until well blended, then stir in the flour until mixture is thick and pasty.
Reduce heat to medium low and slowly add the milk, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and bubbly and to desired consistency. (The mixture wasn't really thickening up for me, so I actually added about another 1/8 c flour.)
Season with salt and pepper to taste, pour over your biscuits and enjoy!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667