12/19/2008

Chicken Divan

From Cooking This and That, originally Dinners for a Year and Beyond.I probably could've added a bit more chicken and broccoli, but if I didn't it wouldn't have fit into my dish. It was almost overflowing as it was. :p

I made this in advance the night before, so that all I had to do was pull it out of the fridge and into the oven then following night.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 c rice (I used brown only about 1 cup)
1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 c chicken broth
3/4 c milk
3 T corn starch
1/4 c white wine (I just used cooking wine)
1 c cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt & pepper to taste
4 c broccoli florets, steamed (I used about 2 crowns)
4 c chicken, shredded into large chunks (I just used one large chicken breast)
1/3 c panko
1/4 c grated Parmesan

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook rice according to package directions. Place cooked rice in a 2-quart baking dish. Set aside.

Heat a medium sized saucepan to medium high and add olive oil and onions. Saute for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for an additional minute. Add the chicken broth and milk and bring to a boil.
Combine the cornstarch and wine in a small bowl and whisk into the saucepan. Cook until sauce thickens, about 3 - 4 minutes. Add the cheddar cheese and whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in broccoli and chicken.
Spoon chicken mixture over rice. Combine panko and Parmesan cheese and sprinkle over chicken and rice. Cover baking dish with foil.Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 8 - 10 minutes or until top is browned.
Note - This dish can be assembled ahead of time, unbaked, and covered and refrigerated. When ready to serve, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake dish for 30 - 35 minutes covered with foil. Then uncover and bake an additional 8 - 10 minutes.
It can also be frozen. Thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours, then follow the refrigerated baking directions.

3 comments:

Kristen616

This looks like something my husband would love! I can't wait to try it!

What's Cookin Chicago

I have this recipe starred to try in the future!!

Colleen

Yay I am glad you liked this one, too! Good to hear that making in advance worked out as well - I am sure that will come in handy!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667