2/13/2009

Meatballs

This is the first time I've ever made meatballs, so I decided to go with this recipe that I found on Woman with a Whisk. Maybe next time I'll try to throw my own together and see how it turns out.

To be honest, I didn't really measure any of the seasonings or bread crumbs. I really like to just eyeball things and see how they turn out.

I made these a day in advance. According to the recipe, it's much better to make these a day ahead.

These were good! They had a really great flavor to them! I don't think I would change a thing!

Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 c milk
1/2 c plain bread crumbs (I actually used Panko)
1/2 t garlic powder
1 t oregano (split in half)
1/4 t salt
Pepper (I threw this in there)
1 can (14 ou) tomato sauce
2 T tomato paste
1/2 t basil
Salt & pepper

Directions:
Break up the ground meat into a medium bowl. Add the milk, bread crumbs, garlic powder, 1/2 t oregano, salt and pepper to taste. Mix together to combine (try not to overwork the meat too much.)

Form the mixture into balls - this made 9 approximately 1 1/2" wide meatballs.

Heat oil in a medium-large pan and saute meatballs until browned. About 5 minutes, turning a few times to brown all over.

After they have browned, reduce heat and add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Fill the empty tomato sauce pan with water, then add that as well.
Add the other 1/2 t oregano, basil and salt and pepper to taste.

Cover and let simmer for 1 hour. During that time, occasionally turn the meatballs to ensure that the sauce covers all sides.
Let cool and place in refrigerator, reheat the following day. Serve with pasta and Parmesan cheese.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667