4/06/2009

Meatball Calzones

I made these meatball calzones for dinner on Friday. They were really good!

I used this meatball recipe. I did not make them a day in advance. And I made them about half the size since I was putting them into calzones.

I made the dough from this recipe from Woman with a Whisk. Only I was out of wheat flour, so I used all AP. I also added in some garlic powder and Italian seasoning. This recipe made 2 pretty large calzones.

Ingredients:
2 c. flour
1 packet quick-rising yeast
1 t salt
1/2 t sugar
3/4 c hot water
1 T EVOO
Cooking spray
Cornmeal or flour
About 1/2 T garlic powder
About 1/2 T Italian seasoning

Directions:
In an electric mixer, mix together the flour, yeast, salt and sugar. Mix the water and EVOO together, and keep the blender on low and slowly add in the water and EVOO mixture.

Dough should form a sticky, foamy ball. Add more flour or water if needed. (I did add a little bit more water.)

Increase mixer speed and knead for 1-2 minutes. Remove from bowl and spray bowl with cooking spray.

Replace dough, cover with towel or saran wrap and let the dough rest for 10-20 minutes.

For the calzones:
Meatballs
Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
Parmesan Cheese, shredded
Pepperoni
Mushrooms. sliced
1 egg white
1 T olive oil

To make the calzones:
Preheat oven to 500 with the pizza stone in the oven.

Roll out the dough on a floured surface. On one-half of the dough, place the meatballs, mozzarella, Parmesan, pepperoni and mushrooms (or your fillings of choice.)

Remove the pizza stone from the oven and liberally sprinkle with cornmeal.

Whisk together the egg white and olive oil.

Fold the calzone and pinch the edges - use a bit of water to make it stick. Brush the top of the calzone with the egg and oil mixture, then use a knife to poke a through slits in the dough to allow air to escape.

Place the calzone on the pizza stone and cook for about 13 minutes, until golden brown.

1 comments:

Colleen

I always mean to make calzones and then forget about them! These look really good - I will have to try them!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667