6/12/2009

Greek Grilled Chicken Pitas

Recipe from Eat Better America

These were delicious! I used 2 chicken breasts that I had pre-cooked and frozen, so the preparation was extremely quick and easy. I added in some chopped roasted red peppers and I think they really added to the flavor.

I actually doubled the recipe (except for the chicken - I probably used 2 6-ounce pieces) and J and I each just ate a whole pita for dinner, no sides. Below are the original ingredient measurements.

Ingredients:
Cucumber Sauce:
1/4 c fat free plain yogurt
1/3 c finely chopped seed cucumber (I didn't remove the seeds)
1 medium green onion, sliced (about 1 T)
1 t grated lemon peel (didn't have a lemon, so I just put in about 2 t lemon juice)
Salt & pepper, to taste

Pitas:
2 chicken breasts (about 4 ou each)
2 t lemon juice
1 t olive oil
1/4 t dried oregano
Salt & pepper
1 pita, cut in half
Tomato, sliced
Onion, sliced
Roasted red pepper, chopped

Directions:
Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl, no more than 30 minutes before you will eat. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Heat grill to medium-high heat.

In another small bowl mix the lemon juice, olive oil, oregano and salt & pepper. Brush the chicken with the lemon juice mixture and grill until cooked through.

Let sit for about 10 minutes, then cut into thin slices.

Warm pita halves in the microwave for about 30 seconds, to soften.

Fill each pita half with half of the cucumber sauce, then add in half of the chicken, tomato, onion and pepper.

1 comments:

Colleen

These look so good - I love easy dinners!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667