9/01/2009

Zucchini Potato Scallion Pancakes

Recipe from REC(ession)IPES


We have so much zucchini to go through this year.  So when I came across this recipe, I decided this would be a great way to go about it!

This was good - but I feel like it was just a little bland.  Maybe I just needed more salt - or maybe it needed some spice in the form of cayenne or paprika.  Or some thyme or rosemary.  I think any of these would help.

I decided to bake these instead of frying to keep them healthy.  Last time I made zucchini cakes I fried them, and, while good, it was just too much grease for me.


Ingredients:
1 large potato
2 large zucchini (about 2-2.5 cups)
Salt
4-5 scallions, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c whole wheat flour
Pepper
1 c sour cream
1 bunch chives

Directions:
Chop chives and combine with sour cream in a small bowl. Place in fridge until ready to use.

In your food processor, or using your box grater, shred the potato and zucchini. Place in a colander and toss with about 1 t of salt.  Allow it to sit for about 10 minutes.

Take a clean dish towel, and grab a large handful of the zucchini/potato mixture.  Squeeze out all of the excess moisture, then place them into a large bowl.  Repeat with remaining zucchini/potato.  Use a second dish towel if needed.
Note: I prepped up to this point on Sunday, then placed it in the refrigerator to cut down on my weeknight prep time on Monday.

Add the scallions, flour, eggs and pepper to taste to the bowl and stir to combine.  I actually just ended up using my hands to mix it together.  It was easier that way.

Preheat oven to 450.

Lightly grease a baking sheet.  Form the zucchini mixture into flattened cakes.  This made about 6 good sized cakes for me.  Set the cakes on the baking sheet.

Cook for about 5-7 minutes per side until lightly browned.  Serve with a dollop of the sour cream/chive mixture.

1 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago

I love the combo of potato and zucchini - such a create way to use up those zucchinis!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667