3/02/2010

Crockpot Minestrone Soup

Recipe from Chi-Town Cooking
 


My mom was talking about making minestrone soup a couple of weeks ago.  So I've been craving it ever since.  This recipe came across my Google Reader so I decided to try it out.  I love that it's a crockpot recipe (though it could easily be adapted for a dutch oven).

It turned out really good, and it makes a lot.  I'd say about 8 servings total.  I ended up freezing about half of it, which isn't a bad thing. :)

Ingredients:
3 c reduced sodium chicken broth
1 (28-ou) can diced tomatos
1 (14.5 ou) can cannellini beans (I forgot to get these at the store, so I used the black beans I had in the cupboard)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 c onion, chopped
1 t dried thyme
1/2 t dried sage
2 bay leaves
Salt & pepper, to taste
2 c pasta, cooked
2 c roughly chopped fresh or frozen (drained) spinach
1/2 lb ground sausage

Directions:
In the crockpot mix the broth, tomatos, beans, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, sage, bay leaves, salt and pepper.

Set on low for 6-8 or high 4-6 hours.

About 30 minutes before you eat, add the pasta and spinach. (I decided to cook the pasta before adding it to the pot.  You could do it either way.) Brown the sausage and add it as well.

Remove the bay leaves and serve sprinkled with shredded Parmesan and a side of bread.

1 comments:

Unknown

This was so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. My husband and I are enjoying the leftovers!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667